Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Price of Reading is Eternal Vigilance "BLOG # 1"

Okay as I am reading this article about "The Price of Reading is Eternal Vigilance" by Anatole Broyard; I felt somewhat annoyed at the beginning but I also understood what he was saying. Granted I am proud of anyone who can go back and truly learn how to read no matter how old they are, that is just courageous in its self. It starts off talking about a man who obviously has serious OCD and afraid of touching his precious books unless he was completely sterilized is just mind boggling. For someone who could put so much time in protecting his treasures, but felt that his books were just to good for him, I really just don't understand. I felt like he was almost talking as if his books were human and as if there was a relationship going on between them both but I also understood what he was saying. Anatole talks about his aggressions as he marks in his books and stomps around, scribbles in the margins, as this is a reminder for him that he bought these books; so again it's like marking his territory and telling the author I can do what I want. I myself can read a book and get so pissed off about some of the choices or decisions that the author has made, that I have slammed down my book and just walked away because I was so irritated. On a brighter note, I agree with Anatole that a good book reads to you it is almost mesmerizing on how it can suck you in and make you actually feel like you are part of the story. So for me I agree with Anatole Broyard that a book is magical and can be a great eye opener but if you are not careful you may just overly respect books, allow it to collect dust and never get what the actual book is trying to share with you; so take your time, no matter how old you are and just enjoy.

1 comment: